Thursday, October 27, 2016

Good day everyone. This post is connected with upcoming workshops here in our Teaching Centre by my learned colleague Bruce Warburton.

First, here is a rapid Learning Quiz: how do you learn things? By answering the questions you will help Bruce design future workshops.

Please respond either by using the Tag Board or by using the 'Comment' facility. There's a link to it at the bottom of this page. 

Style Inventory

To better understand how you prefer to learn and process information, place a check in the appropriate space after each statement below, then use the scoring directions at the bottom of the page to evaluate your responses. Use what you learn from your scores to better develop learning strategies that are best suited to your particular learning style. This 24- item survey is not timed. Respond to each statement as honestly as you can.

Often Sometimes Seldom

For each question, write, in a comment (preferable to the Tag Board for this exercise) the number of the question and then, next to the number, your answer - "often", "sometimes" or "seldom".

1. I can remember best about a subject by listening
to a lecture that includes information, explanations
and discussions.

2. I prefer to see information written on a
chalkboard and supplemented by visual aids and
assigned readings.

3. I like to write things down or to take notes for
visual review.

4. I prefer to use posters, models, or actual practice
and other activities in class.

5. I require explanations of diagrams, graphs, or
visual directions.

6. I enjoy working with my hands or making
things.

7. I am skillful with and enjoy developing and
making graphs and charts.

8. I can tell if sounds match when presented with
pairs of sounds.

9. I can remember best by writing things down.

10. I can easily understand and follow directions
on a map.

11. I do best in academic subjects by listening to
lectures and tapes.

12. I play with coins or keys in my pocket.

13. I learn to spell better by repeating words out
loud than by writing the words on paper.

14. I can understand a news article better by
reading about it in a newspaper than by listening to
a report about it on the radio.

15. I chew gum, smoke or snack while studying.

16. I think the best way to remember something is
to picture it in your head.

17. I learn the spelling of words by “finger
spelling” them.

18. I would rather listen to a good lecture or
speech than read about the same material in a
textbook.

19. I am good at working and solving jigsaw
puzzles and mazes.

20. I grip objects in my hands during learning
periods.

21. I prefer listening to the news on the radio
rather than reading the paper.

22. I prefer obtaining information about an
interesting subject by reading about it.

23. I feel very comfortable touching others,
hugging, handshaking, etc.

24. I follow oral directions better than written
ones.

How To Interpret Your Score:

Each answer has a value:-
Often - 5; Sometimes - 3: Seldom - 1.

Below is a list of learning styles: Visual, Auditory and Tactile. Next to each list are the associated question numbers  When you write your comment, put the score next to each question number.

VISUAL: Questions 2, 3, 7, 10, 14, 16, 19, 22.
AUDITORY  Questions 1, 5, 8, 11, 13, 18, 21, 24.
TACTILE: Questions 4, 6, 9, 12, 15, 17, 20, 23.

Now calculate the total scores for each style: 
VPS = Visual Preference APS = Audio Preference TPS = Tactile Preference

Note that Bruce's objective is to get a general idea of the commonest learning styles. This general idea is obtained from data provided by many individuals. 

You as an individual will not come in for any attention, welcome or otherwise. I want to reassure you on this point. If you wish, you can use the "anonymous" option when posting your Comment.

I hope this helps; if you have any questions just ask me.
Yours,
Mike

No comments: