Many thanks to those of you who have taken part in our recent Quizzes. I am thinking especially of Andrea, Merima and Filomena. But many of you visit this blog - without leaving any messages! This is sad because we want to make this Blog interactive and thus create a community of learners.
So here are two more opportunities. First, this one from the BBC's 'Learning English', on the five uses of "would". It's a highly useful and flexible word, so have a look here, and post a comment on how to use "would". For example, tell us what you would do if you won the lottery.
Now over to the BBC Radio. On Radio 4 we can listen to short clips of under four minutes - "Radio 4 in 4". Why not try this one about Christmas traditions?
First, here are a few questions:
1. What was "Saturnalia"? A time of "___", "___" and "_____" .
2. What do we learn about ancient festivals? They're about "m____", "c___" and "m____" (I give you the first letter of each expression.)
3. Jesus could be regarded as a "s______" figure, one who came to upset the "p_____".
4. Can you give some examples of "misrule" and the "reversal of roles" in winter festivals?
5. What did the Norse god Odin do in the winter?
Click here to listen.
Then post your answers and comments on the Tag Board or in a Comment.
Finally, have a very happy Christmas and New Year, and see you again soon!
Very best wishes