If you often feel bored, it's quite normal. Everybody experiences boredom at some time, some people more than others. In this episode of Six Minute English, we begin with a question on a potentially very boring theatre performance:
1. Do you know how long the cast for The Bald Soprano was on stage for? Was it for about:
a) 8 hours: b) 17 hours: c) 23 hours
You'll find out the answer at the end of the programme.
Now read the other questions.
2. Finn often dreams of something more exciting, such as becoming a ..... or a .....And now, listen to the programme. Post your answers on the Tag Board or in a Comment. I'd love evrybody to take part!
3. American fighter pilot Missy Cummings said she staved off boredom by .....
4. Tiffany Watts-Smith says boredom is a .... emotion because it .....
5.She says it .....
6. Finn says he's going to ..... his boredom by booking himself a ..... , maybe in ..... to see the ..... .
Do you have children, or do you know any? If yes, read the advice of the expert who says boredom is actually good for children, surprising though this may seem.
That's all for now! You have a week to listen and answer the questions. Fill the gaps in the sentences above with what you understand from the programme. I look forward to reading your answers.
Finally, can you answer these questions, in a comment or on the Tag Board:
(a) What things, people or situations make you bored?
(b) How do you cope with boredom?
(c) "Boredom is a very creative state". Discuss.
Goodbye for now!