With the summer holidays now on our radar, many of us are thinking about travel. But where to? Do we go to reliable places we have been to many times before? Or do we try something entirely new?
As I often say, “Forget about Ostia Lido, Tor Vaianica, Santa
Marinella. Off to…” and then add the name of some exotic destination.
So if you’re wondering where to go, this week’s Six Minute
English with Rob and Neil may give you some ideas. Read the questions first, then click on the
link to the programme. Then post your answers in a Comment or on the Tag Board.
How to answer the questions: after a question mark, ?, just write a short answer. If you see dots (...) complete the sentence in a logical way based on what you hear. Your sentence should be grammatically correct. And if you see __ __, answer with one word for each underlined space or ___.
1) – Official question: Robben Island in South Africa
is one dark tourism destination. It's where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for
18 years. When did it finally close as a prison? Was it:
a) 1991; b) 1996; c) 1999?
2) In ‘dark’ tourism, travellers visit places associated with …
3) Rob has been to …
4) Next month Rob is going to …
5) What does Dr Philip Stone say about why ‘dark tourism’ is
6) In Latvia, you can stay in a ___ ___ and pay to be ___ ___ ___
7) In Vietnam you can ….
8) At a ‘dark tourist’ site, what kind of behaviour might be
acceptable, and what might not?
9) When visiting some ‘dark tourist’ sites, what would you not write on a postcard?
Now listen to the programme. Then, write your answers in a Comment or on the Tag Board. And let’s
have as many people answering as possible! Six people contributed to last month’s
Six Minute English on ‘Freedom’. But there could have been many more
participants. Have a very good weekend.