After nearly a month, I now have the official answers to the latest Six Minute English Quiz. Here they are:
1. Which Italian city was Giacomo Girolamo Casanova born in?
c) Venice – in 1725
2. A “Casanova” is a man who is a smooth talker, very charming, and great at seducing women.
3. G.G. Casanova was known for his sexual adventures.
4. Italian “Casanovas” used to seduce women by giving them expensive gifts, etc…
5. But now they can’t afford it.
6. What gifts did Casanovas traditionally give their mistresses? furs, jewels, a fully paid-for flat.
7. What other expressions mean “reduce spending”? “cut back”, “downsize”, “rein in”
8. In Italy, the cost of living is said to be soaring ( = increasing rapidly)
9. Another name for “Casanova” is Latin lover.
10. Nowadays, Casanovas can only offer their mistresses simple pleasures such as a cup of coffee, a walk in the park, or ‘going Dutch’ at a restaurant.
11. Why is the recession in Italy having a positive effect for married women? Fewer married men can afford to support two women, so there are fewer divorces.
12. What does Finn advise Rob to do? To stick to just one woman.
Two further questions: What does "going Dutch mean", and what does "to stick to" mean?
Not many people participated this time. But honourable mentions must go to Roberta, Cristina and Giovanni.
Look out for the next quiz, coming next week!
Have a very good weekend.