Hello everybody. Some days ago there was a news item in the media which reported criticism of Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, on the part of the novelist Hilary Mantel ("Wolf Hall" and other novels) who described her as the "Plastic Princess".
In this week's Six Minute English, Finn and Neil talk about Ms Mantel's observations. As usual, read the comprehension questions first, then listen to the programme.
1. (Official question) How many wives did English King Henry VIII have?
a) four b) five c) six
Listen out for the answer at the end of the programme.
2. A famous British novelist referred to the Duchess of Cambridge as a "shop window [_____]" with "no personality of her [_____]."
3. The Tudor period in English history lasted from [
_____ ] to [
4. According to the novelist Hilary Mantel, Kate Middleton appeared to have been "designed by a [
_____ ] and built by [
_____ ] ."
5. How does Hilary Mantel compare Kate Middleton with Princess Diana? Write a short answer using the phrases you hear.
6. According to Hilary Mantel, Princess Diana's death was caused by [
_____ _____]. (two words)
Now listen to the programme. When you have finished, share your answers with us in a Tag Board message, or in a Comment.
Seven readers took part in the last quiz, so let's see if we can at least double the number! Answers at the end of the week.
Meanwhile, I will be reviewing the links between this blog and useful web sites, and will let you know if there are any big changes.