First of all, let me wish all our readers a very happy New Year 2013. And I hope you all enjoyed Christmas, if you celebrate it.
Now for the answers to that apocalyptic Quiz regarding the end of the world:
1) It's (b) the winter solstice.
2) For the Mayans, December 21 2012 marks the end of a 5000 - year cycle.
3) Professor Pedro Yac from Guatemala hopes that people will use 21 December to think about "what is important in life".
4) He says: "We should stop planting fear".
5) According to a recent Reuters/Ipsos poll, nearly ten per cent of the people surveyed believe that the end of the world is nigh. (imminent).
6) Richard Henson says that we are witnessing the end of an era that began 3114 years before Christ.
Many thanks to all those of you who did the quiz, and especially to Tommaso for going so far as to post your answers.
I'll be resuming normal service when I return to Rome next week. Meanwhile, enjoy what remains of your holiday!
Kind regards from