We will have found out by the end of 21 December. But try to take a little time - six minutes - to learn more about the idea that the world is due to end on this day. Listen to Alice and Kaz on Six Minute English.
First, read the questions. Then listen to the programme. When you have finished, post your answers on the Tag Board or in a Comment. Were you right?
1) - official: Alice asks Kaz what 21 December is called in English?
(a) the winter equinox (b) the winter solstice (c) midwinter
2) For the Mayans, December 21 2012 marks the end of a _________ - year cycle.
3) Professor Pedro Yac from Guatemala hopes that people will use 21 December to think about ......
4) He says: "We should stop planting _____ ".
5) According to a recent Reuters/Ipsos poll, nearly _____ per cent of the people believe that the end of the world is 'nigh'. (= imminent)
6) What common English adjective rhymes (sounds like) 'nigh'?
7) Richard Henson says that we are witnessing the end of an era that began _______ years before Christ.
Now listen to the programme. Then post your answers. Let's have as many readers as possible giving their answers to these fundamental questions about our existence.
And tell us where you will be on the day the world ends! More soonest,