Hello everyone. For those of you who wanted to listen to the BBC Radio analysis of the Concordia disaster, I apologise for giving you the wrong reference. The broadcast was in fact on 19th January, not 18th January.
You have two days from the date if this message if you want to listen. So I suggest you listen now, and to help you focus on the discussion, here are some comprehension questions. At the end of the questions, I provide the link and the time reference point.
Here are the questions:
Listen to the discussion of Captain Schettino's behaviour. The BBC interviewer talks to two experts, Bruce Hood, head of the Cognitive Development Centre at Bristol University and Rear-Admiral Chris Parry, formerly of the British Royal Navy.
Try to fill the gaps in the questions with a missing word or phrase, or write a short answer to the question:
1) According to the report, what nickname are Italian newspapers giving Captain Schettino? Captain [________ .]
2) The Italian journalist Massimo Gramellini of La Stampa says Captain Schettino is a type of Italian "we cannot pretend we don't know, more [____] of himself than [___] of himself."
Listen to Bruce Hood:
3) What adjectives does he use to describe Captain Schettino? [__________, __________]
4) According to Bruce Hood, what happens when we panic?
5) Does he blame Captain Schettino for his behaviour?
Listen to Admiral Parry:
6) He says, 'I feel extremely [____] for a guy' who has just lost his ship.
7) He observes that a ship is part of a professional sailor's [_______].
8) How does he distinguish between the military and civilian tradition of sailing?
9) The Admiral is 'not so sure that the crew of the Concordia ever expected to ...........................'
10) He remarks that until you're in an extreme situation, 'you don't always know ............................ .'
11) And he says, 'At the end of the day, it is a question of [____] with [____].'
12) He also says that 'the sort of people you put in command of ships, they have to have [____], they have to have [___ ___-_____], they're [____ ____].
13) And if you put 'alpha males' in a disaster situation which is possibly of their own choosing, they're going to react in ................... .'
Bruce Hood again:
14) 'Training is [________]'
15) People have this perception about how they think they'll react to an emergency, but this is often ...................................... the reality.'
Now listen to the radio broadcast by clicking on this link. When the window opens, slide the timing button to the 45th minute, like this: 0:45:00.
Leave your answers on the Tag Board or, better, in a Comment, as the Tag Board messages are limited to 200 characters.
I'll post the official answers at the end of this week. There is some useful vocabulary here, which I will share with you.