I am sorry to have been late with the first Six Minute English exercise of the new year 2010-2011. Here it is!
Read the questions first and then listen to the presenters, Alice and Rob:
1. How many new words were added to the Oxford Dictionary of English this year?
(a) 100 (b) 2,000 (c) 10,000
2. How does Catherine Soames of the Oxford English Dictionary choose new words to add?
She uses _________ [two-word expression] to find words which are used in different places such as _______, _________ or _________ . [She mentions three places.]
3. What do "defriend" and "unfriend" mean?
4. What is a "dictionary attack"?
5. And a "toxic debt"?
6. What is Alice's favourite new word this year?
Now listen to the programme. But don't look at the vocabulary list before you have finished listening. Otherwise the exercise will be a 'no-brainer' (what does this expression mean??)
That's all for now. I will be back later with another exercise and more help on How To Use Internet To Learn And Practise English!