Good day everyone. I wish you all a happy start to the week.
Here's a fresh listening comprehension from Six Minute English. It's about the famous sign on a mountainside looking over one of the best known localities in America. Read the questions first and then listen to the programme.
1. The Hollywood sign was constructed in 1923 but at that time it didn't say 'Hollywood'. What did it say?
a) Hollywoodville; b) Hollywoodtown; c) Hollywoodland
2. Hugh Hefner, founder of the Playboy empire, compares the Hollywood sign with another famous landmark. Which one?
3. What London landmarks might have similar 'iconic' status? Three are mentioned.
4. Hugh Hefner says that the best of America comes not from government but from the ______ . (one word)
5. Mr. Hefner further says that this 'best of America' represents the ______ ______ . (two words)
Now listen to the programme. Then write your answers on the Tag Board or in a Comment.
Last week twelve people took part, and this was fantastic. Can we double the number this week?
Coming soon: the new British Council 'LearnEnglish' site; and how to use the Concordancer to research English vocabulary.
Watch this space!