Okay, so in today's Six Minute English we are going to explore an aspect of dishonesty, specifically, Lying. Some categories of people, particularly lawyers (liars?) and politicians, have a reputation for lying, or, in the famous words of one British government official, being "economical with the truth." But what is the truth about lying? You are about to find out.
Now read the questions below:
1. (Official question): Which profession admits to lying the most?
(a) Teachers; (b) Doctors; (c) Politicians.
(You'll hear the answer at the end of the programme.)
2. According to research, how many lies do most people tell every day?
3. "Lying is a(n) ___________ part of human nature." Listen and insert one word into the gap.
4. How can you tell if someone is lying? Listen to the psychiatrist Sharon Leal and briefly describe the three factors that she mentions.
5. How does a "lie detector" work? It measures your ________, your ___________ and your ________ .
6. What is a "control question"?
7. What is the definition of a "white" lie? What example does the speaker give?
Now listen to the programme. Then write your answers on the Tag Board or in the Comment below this posting.
That's all for now. I will be on holiday until 7 April. Have a very Good Easter holiday, and as they say where I'm going, iyi yolculuklar!