Friday, May 15, 2009

Astrology on Six Minute English

Hello everyone.

Do you believe in the horoscopes? This week I have chosen a piece on astrology in "Six Minute English" as a listening comprehension exercise.

Here are a few comprehension questions:

1. Official question, as seen on the site:
- How many star signs are there?

Now for some more questions:
2. Jackie's star sign is ......
3. Her star sign means that she is ........ (3 personality characteristics)
4. The Scottish journalist Jan Muir's first job on her newspaper was ................
5. The formula for a horoscope included a ............, a ............. and a .............
6. According to Jan Muir, why do people continue to be interested in horoscopes?
7. According to the professor of astrology, horoscopes are a piece of ................... (two words)

Listen and write your answers in a Comment. The first person to get the answers correct will get an Honourable Mention - and I'll buy them a drink if we go out.

Now for two further things:
1. In Level 4A (Wed/Fri classes), we have been talking about crime. Have a look at a British newspaper, "The Times". Here's a link to the crime reports. How many new words, connected with crime and justice, can you find? Can you identify any special structures, such as passives? And can you identify any special reporting verbs?
- Write your answers in a comment.
2. I have promised to demonstrate how the concordancer web sites can help you research into how English works. Right now I only have time to point you to the main concordancer sites. I have temporarily moved the links up to just below the Tag Board. Here are some exercises you could try:
(a) How many phrasal verbs with "get" can you find, and what do they mean? Can you identify a "get" phrasal verb with more than one meaning?
(b) How many adjectives ending in "-ly" can you find?

That's all for now! More soon.
- Mike

4 comments:

Gianfranco4B said...

Hi all! Here are my answers!

1. There are Twelve star signs in the Zodiac

2. Jackie’s star sign is Virgo

3. The characteristics of a Virgo consist of being practical, intelligent and a bit of a perfectionist

4. Jan Muir's first job was a bit disappointing with respect to his expectations

5. The formula for a horoscope included a positive, a negative and a maybe6. because horoscopes talk about the people that read the newspaper (or the magazine)

7. horoscopes are a piece of ancient wisdom

m.laura4a said...

Hi!
these are my answers:1)12; 2)Virgo; 3)pratical; intelligent and a bit of perfectionist; 4) to write horoscope;
..included a positive a negative and and maybe; 6)because the horoscopes are published on newspapers and talk about who read newspapers to; 7) ancient wisdom

brunella 4B said...

Hi! Here are my answers:

Official question, as seen on the site: - How many star signs are there?
12
Now for some more questions:
2. Jackie's star sign is Virgo
3. Her star sign means that she is practical, intelligent and a bit of a perfectionist
4. The Scottish journalist Jan Muir's first job on her newspaper was to write horoscope
5. The formula for a horoscope included a positive, a negative and a maybe.
6. According to Jan Muir, why do people continue to be interested in horoscopes?
Because people who read the newspapers always want to know also about themselves.
7. According to the professor of astrology, horoscopes are a piece of ancient wisdom
By!
brunella 4B

brunella 4B said...

I don't believe in the horoscopes, but I like to read the funny Rob Brezsny's horoscope here: http://www.freewillastrology.com/horoscopes/
This is my horoscope for the week:
"Dear Rob Brezsny: I really didn't like a recent horoscope you wrote for me. I'm a Leo, and although your oracle was sort of true, I didn't want it to be true, and furthermore I didn't want to lend my belief energy to help make it true. So I went hunting among the other signs, hoping to find a different horoscope that appealed more to the healthiest aspect of my fantasy life. I settled on the 'scope for Cancer, as it piqued my interest with just the right hopeful twist, and provided a highly motivating kick in the butt. Thanks! - Picky Choosy." Dear Picky Choosy: I approve of your efforts. These days I would love all of my Leo readers to be as imperious as you've been in gathering only the influences you want, and shedding the rest.

By!