Friday, March 13, 2009

Six Minute English

Hello everyone.
As promised, here is a quick listening comprehension exercise based on the BBC Learning English site's "Six Minute English". This time we're looking at love and romance, although St. Valentine's Day is now some time behind us.

As usual, the site asks you a multiple choice question, the answer to which you'll hear at the end of the programme. And here are three questions from me; try to answer them as you listen.

1. In what way are prairie voles like human beings?

2. What can a "genetic love test" demonstrate?

3. Who would use a "genetic love test"?

Please put your answers on the Tag Board or in the Comments section below this post.

Now listen to the programme.

There's lots of useful language there, so this is an opportunity for you to collect new words such as surge, compound, antidote and predisposition.

Coming soon: English language newspapers from around the world.

I look forward to seeing your answers on the Blog!
- Mike

5 comments:

brunella 4b said...

Hello everyone, Hi Mike,
A very strange listening! I think the neuroscience had better be applied to solve problems or questions of its relevance. In my opinion, the complexity of relationships and human feelings cannot be explained by the level of oxytocin!
My answers are:
1. Prairie voles are like human beings in their relationships. They stay with the same partner throughout their lives, so they form 'lifelong' relationships, just like married people.
2. A genetic love test would tell us who was born with the qualities and personality that people really need to be a great husband or wife.
3. Matchmaking agencies would use a "genetic love test" to help people to find their perfect partner (!?!)

However, I don’t need a genetic love test! I'd rather not get married throughout my life, I hope I’ll be so lucky..;-)!
By. brunella 4b
p.s. I tried to use some grammar rules of the last lesson (‘d rather, ‘d better), if I made mistakes would you correct me? Thank you very much!

Michael said...

Hi Brunella!

I think your answers to the listening are correct.

Any time you need help with grammar, just contact me. Write your question on the Tag Board. Then I can reply to it publicly on a Post.

Mike

M.Laura 4a said...

Hi!
These are my answers:
1)Volves stay with the same partner for long time like married people; they have a long life relatioship;
2)A genetic test can demonstrate that there are some poeple who was born with pesonality or qualities who people really need to be a great wifw or husband;
3) A genetic love test would used by matching making agency.
Bye.

Grazia4b said...

I absolutely agree with Brunella! I think that such a research is only a waste of time: there are still a lot of serious diseases to be studied and "heartbroken" definitely is not one of them!
Anyway:
1) Prairie voles have lifelong relationships with the same partner, just like married people... Maybe prof Young never heard of divorce!
2) A genetic love test could find out who has a predisposition for a happy married life.
3) Match making agencies, companies that help people to find the perfect partner.

daniela4a said...

hi!the following are my answers:
1) generally, prairie voles stay with the same partner all life long, like married people.
2)A "genetic love test" could tell us if a person is destinated to be an happy bride or groom.
3)That test could be used by agencies that ask people money to find out their perfect partner.

and now... good night to all of you!!!!