Friday, September 30, 2005

Listening Practice

Listening is a problem for many students - because they do not get enough practice. Here is a list of Internet sites that may help you become a better listener.

I have not had time to try them out, but I will soon. Meanwhile here is a preliminary list. I thank my colleague Simon Sergeant, a teacher at the British Council Singapore, for sending me these links:


For some listenings, you'll need Windows Media Player; for others, you will need Real Audio. If you bought your computer within the last four years, you are likely to have these programs already installed.

http://esl.about.com/od/intermediatelistenin1/
Intermediate listening exercises in situations. Follow the instructions and see how well you do.

http://www.bookpop.com/popbooks/samflashpop/samflashbook.html
Children's stories. Some with texts. American English.

http://www.eflclub.com/
Click on 'Songs'

http://www.englishezee.com/podcast/
Listen and answer the quiz questions. American English

http://www.englishskills.com/Sample_eng.htm
Business English exercises.


http://www.everydayenglish.com/navleft.htm
Elementary listening exercises.

http://www.fonetiks.org/dictations/
We don't normally give dictations in class. But try these Internet dictations and check your score.

http://www.splendid-learning.co.uk/podcast/
Advanced listening practice. Intended for students preparing for Certificate in Advanced English. But try it anyway! See how much you understand.

http://esl.about.com/od/englishlistening/
A complete list of listening exercises from the 'About.com' site.

More Listenings soon! Please try them out and post your comment. This is very important: by posting a comment you help other students decide what listening sites to use.

Mike

8 comments:

Mike said...

I have left this comment using the Word Verification facility. This deters Spammers. It is very easy to use, and ensures that we do not get unwanted comments.

Mike

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I made a mistake! I wrote my comment in a wrong place: on the post of 23 september!!!
bye bye!!!
Francesca

Anonymous said...

I went to 4English site and I played all the games... it was amazing!(=
Myriam

Anonymous said...

I spent one hour waiting for the 2English site! I waited for the download, I waited for the exercises, I waited for the audio and I can't do nothing... At this point I went to the BBC site, unfortunately to hear it I needed the Real Player Plus (insted I have the normal vertion). I went to the microsoft site hoping that the programme was for free.. indeed it was, or at least it seems to be for free... after one or three "steps" (download the programme, I agree.. ect. ect) a banner appears congradulating with me for my choise "and all this and more only for 19.90$!". I really hope have not agrred to all this... Probably today isn't a lucky day for my English... after reading some page of my book on the apartheid in South Africa I think I'll look at my boring documentary on Lockness monster.. at least I'm sure I mustn't pay 19.90$ to do it!
I would like to ask to my collegues if they have in mind some tradiction of our class, I remember only two or three of them and I think it would be more interesting discover together how many tradictions we have or what we consider as a tradiction...
I forgot to tell you that today also the go4English site, the site written in Arabic, it doesn't work too! I suspect that my pc would have some problem but this morning I went to the reuter site in with you could have the plesure to hear an original speech of Mr. Annan, and I haven't any problem...
I thing that with this long complain I've dome my exercise today.. Now Lochness is waitin for me.
see u!
Myriam

Anonymous said...

I would like to help Michael in his duty:
at the first line "I can't do anything" version is written with s choice with c ... agreed with two e and not with two r. "I've doNe my exercise today"
bie
my

Mike said...

I am sorry Myriam has had problems with In2English and Go4English. I will try them myself and contact the site managers to see if they have any advice.

Has anyone else experienced problems?

Mike

Anonymous said...

It was amaaaziiing!!!!! (=
finally I came to the British Council and I succeded in visit the go4English site.
I discovered that you can play to all "the beat the clock", so I playd with events, sports, sightseen an something else. Definetively is my favourite games!
Myriam

Anonymous said...

... my favourite gamE!